Wednesday, May 18, 2016

"Phynd the Physicist": A Game to Open Dialog About Inclusion in Physics

Today's guest blogger, Misty Bentz, is an Assistant (nay, Associate!) Professor in the Department of Physics and Astronomy at Georgia State University. Misty is an expert at making black hole mass measurements using reverberation mapping techniques, which she uses to study the broad line region and the relationship between AGN and their host galaxies. Misty's post is the second in a new series of blogs (the first is here) that describe how instructors tackle social justice issues in their physics and astronomy classrooms.

For the past few years, I have been teaching a required course for entering physics majors, “Gateway to Physics”, at Georgia State University. The course is intended to introduce students to the wide world of exciting physics research and (hopefully) kindle their enthusiasm for studying physics even as they work through their introductory courses.

To this end, we don’t spend time solving problems about balls rolling down inclined planes. Instead, the course is formatted as a seminar that meets once per week for 2 hours and is centered around visits from physics and astronomy faculty, each visitor spending an hour discussing their research and their physics subfield. The students also have semester-long group projects where they independently explore a physics topic to learn the current state of the field (past topics have included wormholes, spacecraft propulsion, extremophiles, quantum computing, biomimicry, and skyscraper design). The last meeting of the semester is a “behind the scenes” tour of several physics research labs.

When I took over the course a few years ago, I wanted to address many of the stereotypes that students were likely to bring into the classroom with them. These include stereotypes about what science is and how science works, but also stereotypes about scientists themselves. In particular, our university is known for having a very diverse undergraduate population (roughly 40% black, 30% white, 10% hispanic, 10% asian, and 10% other or unknown), which does not match the current demographics of physics faculty in the United States (80% white, 14% asian, 3% hispanic, 2% black, and 1% other in 2014 according to AIP). The most visible examples of professional physicists that these students are likely to see are the faculty teaching their courses. I wanted to clearly demonstrate to my students that physicists are first and foremost people, and any person is capable of becoming a physicist. While reality is, of course, more complicated given the intricacies of our society and the additional challenges that various groups will face, my intent was to keep the message clear and simple and supportive at this formative stage of their personal journeys: that becoming a physicist is an achievable goal no matter who you are.

Rather than putting together a list of research studies and articles and arguments to convince my students of this fact, I decided to try to demonstrate it in a way that would have the students drawing their own conclusions, while also making those conclusions obvious to even the most passive observer. So I made a game, gave it a silly name, and decided to play it on the first day of class. I don’t remember spending more than a single afternoon putting the game together, and it is not based on any specific findings or recommendations from sociological studies or pedagogy. It also does not confront every box or label that we could apply to the people around us, but I did try to pick out some of the most visible categorizations that our field still struggles with: race, ethnicity, gender, cultural affiliation, and religious affiliation. “Phynd the Physicist” is the result.

The first class of the semester starts with the usual overview of the syllabus and goals of the course. We then move on to introductions. To kick things off, I start by describing my qualifications and experience as well as a few more personal details (hometown, hobbies, etc). I also make it a point to accentuate the discrepancies in my appearance with the stereotypical “look” of a physicist --- often this means that I am wearing a feminine dress and heels while I describe my degrees, the number of papers I’ve authored, the number of citations I’ve gathered, and the total research dollars I have been awarded. It is then fairly natural to point out to the students that the surprise on their faces is becoming more apparent the longer I talk, and we naturally segue into playing “Phynd the Physicist”.

The class is divided into teams and the teams are challenged to pick out the physicists based on appearance alone. Playing as teams encourages the students to talk with each other and begin working together right away in a low-stress and silly environment. I generally keep score to make things interesting, even though no prizes are awarded. Some of the example physicists that I have included in the game are fairly well-known even outside the physics community (Queen guitarist and PhD astronomer Brian May is placed alongside Eddie Van Halen and Slash, for example) but many others are not. After all, the point of the game is to have the students realize that they cannot judge a book, or a physicist, by its cover.

I then ask all 50 students to take turns telling us who they are, where they are from, and why they decided to study physics (or take the class, for the few non-physics majors that sign up). Finding shared hometowns and interests helps to start building the community among the students, and better facilitates the semester-long group projects. We finish the meeting talking about science and various common misconceptions.

The rest of the semester is devoted to the group projects and weekly visitors, but early on I provide an in-exhaustive list of organizations (reproduced here) that support underrepresented groups in physics and astronomy. I encourage all the students to look into these organizations in more detail and briefly discuss the importance of having a support network and making connections within the field (as well as the possibilities for scholarships and other financial support!). All the visitors are faculty in our department, and I seek as diverse a group as possible within that constraint. I ask visitors to tell us a little bit about themselves to try to help them seem more like "real people" and less like "teachers": where they grew up, what they do for fun, etc. We have quick visits from SPS and Astronomy Club officers to advertise these organizations and help the students get plugged in. And I try to post a few interesting articles to the class message board when I run across them (here’s an example from last fall) while encouraging discussion of the main points.

While I have not attempted to measure the impact of these activities in any quantitative way, for some students, the lessons have stuck with them so well that they describe them as some of the most surprising things they learned in the class in their end-of-semester essays. For others, I suspect that my class is a first drop in the bucket and that it will take additional introductions from other teachers, mentors, and friends before they truly begin to confront their ingrained assumptions. My (perhaps naive and optimistic) hope, though, is that if I do my part, and others do theirs as well, we can help to create a more inclusive atmosphere in physics and astronomy, where different life backgrounds and viewpoints are expected, welcomed, and valued.


3 comments :

Unknown said...

I am going to run this in my classes, not just physics. Excellent exercise, especially enjoyed the last few!
Sandy Antunes, Capitol College

Anonymous said...

I love this idea! The course sounds great and the game has such a positive message. Thanks so much for making the slides available. I will be adding this activity to my own course orientation.
Wendy Taylor, York University

Unknown said...

I actually really enjoyed this game. I will give definitely good feedback for this game. check my site Unblocked Games